Friday, April 07, 2006

North's Status Friday 4/7

Hi All,

I will start trying to leave a quick update to let you know how your prayers and thoughts are affecting me. I do feel them. Its a matter of perception. For example, its hard for me think on the scale of swimming in the National Master meet last summer as I slowly walk down the hall, today. I know that I will swim and do so much more in the future. Yet, the physical world has all the negative signals that could be interpreted as "oh ain't it awful". Well, I am here to tell you that only the degree that any of us buy into that illusion is the degree that we miss the miracles in our lives. Its not about negative thinking either. My body really does hurt and it is ok to say so. The error is in not putting effort towards the truth of potential of positive optimism. It could be so easy to slip into the difficulty of this story. But that would be no fun. Your prayers motivate me to find the positive. They are my affirmation. They are Gabriel's Horn, they are the fireworks' last spark of light. They are the the prize in the cracker jack box, the Pink Flamingo in the yard, the belly laugh of a three year old blowing a dandilion; two butterflies dancing on a summer breeze, a fluffy cloud sailing under a rainbow gate to unknown shores. Thank you so much for how you think and pray for my recovery.

I am very glad to just be here and it seems my chances of staying are improving. The pathology report showed that the removal of the eye was the right decision. The tumor had taken hold there. A few scattered cells remain, but chemo and radiation will vanquish their ability to reclaim a foothold. We are awaiting the final pathology on the eye to be totally able to say this first stage was a complete success. I know it is already.

Vitals:
I've stabilized at 160 lbs. I dropped about another 3-4 when I came home, but thanks to Mom and Leslie W. and others, I'm getting feed well. My weight before the operation was about 180 in January and 175 when we went in.

I'm able to walk about a city block with 3-4 stops to rest- so my blood pressure and pulse are on the mend

I've stopped coughing pleme as much

I'm sleeping 3-4 hours at night, getting up and sleeping another 3-4. So I am starting to balance sleep time

Still very tired during the day, But taking everything slow

Physical Appearance:
Besides the worse haircut, EVER, I am starting to look a little more normal. Considering I had 67 metal staples that held toghther an incision that wrapped from my lower left neck, along my right throat, to behind my ear, across the top of my heas and down behind the left ear, (measuring 64 inches) I am no longer wearing bandages. The swelling is dramatically less on my left side. My right side is still about 2x normal, but that is due to the flap in my right sinus/palett area; the eye flap and the neck swelling. Overall, I am getting used to feeling the lack of and same time excessive sensations on my right side. Too much swelling and the loss of the eye. Its a weird combination. But to sooth it all, my cousin Dan got me the most wonderful eyepatches. Totally stylish. I will get pictures up sometime this weekend.

Below Neck:
The greatest pain is in my right shoulder. Its a combination of laying open on that side for such a long surgery and the fact that they had to manipulate the primary nerve that runs from the neck to the shoulder. I look forward to getting with Billie D and Leigh A. to work this out. Started doing stretching and motion work this morning. Very sore now.

The stomach inceision is about 10 inches long. Its healing up well. The only issue is that my belly button is now about 2 inches to the right off center. This can be repaired. (It will reamain an inney ... no choice about a belley button face lift)

I continue to have difficulty with energy when I talk and eat. Takes a lot of effort, because I am learning to swallow all over again. But I am brushing my teeth and everyday I get a little more range of motion with my tongue and jaw.


Within:
The more I focus on just reconnecting with my body, the more I feel spirit awaken. The more I focus on pain, the more I feel pain, fear and anxiety and frustration. I realized this morning as I started stretching, that this is why so many yogi masters ascert yoga. Connecting with the body is essential for a complets path. I look forward to Yoga becoming more of my daily routine.

This is short and factual, but I just wanted to keep you up to date. I will try and draft a more inward reflection on the Journal page by tomorrow.

With Much Love and Light,

North

3 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous said...
Dear One,

North, congratulations on how far you have come thus far. What you posess now is possitive peace, not dependant on outer conditions. Negative peace comes for a short time when a wish is granted or a burden is lifted. Hold onto real peace, deep peace and watch it become evernew JOY.

May your cup runneth over !

And now, back to the business at hand. I think there is a great opportunity here to create more networking as Craig suggested earlier. Is it possible to have a page on this site with ways to give/network. That would include Craig's real estate proposal, Stef & Jen's business, websites who will give a donation to your cause if they mention "thenorthblog".

Very soon I will have the second phase of my website www.danceordie.us completed and I would offer 10% donated on clothing purchased by northblog shoppers.

This was my intention for the clothing line in the first place (see fundraising on my website) It's not just win/win anymore. It becomes a triple win. If Craig sells my house it's a DOUBLE win/win ! I win, Craig wins, you win and the people who bought my house win.

How cool is that !!!!

Be Well, Be Peace.....

Nikola

4:18 PM

 
At 7:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear North and Stef,
Wondering how you are doing? After a busy weekend in Los Vegas attending a wedding, we are now in San Clemente and will be here until this Friday. We are reluctant to call you for fear of you being over-whelmed by others of good intention. Would like to hear from you when its convenient and your energy is up. Unfortunately, Friday is our last day here until the following weekend. If we can help, please call, write, or email.
Love and Blessings,
Mel and Kath

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

North, I'm speechless.

But I wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts at church. We were talking about you over lunch on Sunday and praying for all good things for you and Stephanie.

I hope you know how much you are loved and missed. How when I look out over the congregation, I miss seeing your face...and Stephanie's face...and we want you back with us as soon as you can be.

I have been blessed by you and just loved you both instantly. I referred a friend to you, who has some experience in the things you are going through. Her name is Wendy Fuld, and she works for Mark Wood. She asked after you and asked if I thought you would mind if she contacted Stephanie.

Knowing Wendy, and knowing you, I think you might find her a blessing.

I love you so... you and Steph, let the Center know what you need because we all want to help.

Blessings, Debra Barbre' (aka music Debra from the Center),

 

Post a Comment

<< Home