Wednesday, March 29, 2006

A musical moment and miracle men

North - Norman - My North Star... a man so moved by love and purpose; by his intimate relationship with Divine Presence, that those of us who love him, and those of us just hearing of him for the first time, are in complete awe.
And "Cousin Dan" (with a southern twang as I like to call him)... a gift as much to me as his beloved life-long friend. I am at a loss for words to express the incredible depth of my appreciation and adoration. These two Southern boys have filled my heart and rocked my world and I AM SO GRATEFUL!!!
So, with so many stories and details to share from this journey, one has risen above the rest and inspired me to write this morning. The three of us shared a moment yesterday, inspired by music from the Agape Choir. My all time favorite agape song is "I Had a Revelation". I shared it with North just a few weeks ago on our retreat in San Diego and we sat on the couch and cried with the power and truth of the lyrics and the passion of the voices and song.
Once he settled into his new room on the scaled down ICU care floor, I offered to play some music and he chose that CD. A few songs into it, Dan and I are sitting quietly beside the bed because North is SOOOO tired, and that song comes on. The lyrics go something like this... "I had a revelation one day when I was in prayer. I had a revelation and I became so aware that God loves me and needs me too and that's why I am alive, why I'm alive, why I'm alive. Had a revelation my love for God was ever so true, I discovered God loves me and needs me too. Now I know why I'm alive..."
Whoah, makes me cry just to read those words. Now... I look up at North and he is flushed with emotion and tears are coming from his eye and he suddenly pumps his arm passionatly along with the music and points at us. As the song says "I had a revelation" he points at the area where his right eye used to be and says as best he can, "My Revelation." Then points back at us and at Dan, who trys to focus on the CD holder to not come out of his skin with the emotion of it all, and North demands his attention and together we all look at one another and sing along and let the tears flow uninhibited.
So we all three HAD A REVELATION.. in that moment we changed yet again to a deeper level of love and living, and of understanding, purpose and bondedness. I think we all felt at a new level that God does indeed love and need us and that we are intensly blessed.
Namaste' to all of you who chose to share this life with us. Love is larger than anything else and I am glad we are alive.
Stef

10 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stef

Let big brother know the "Orange & White" game is this weekend. For those that don't know, this is the spring game for the Univestery of Tennesee football team. We all know that UNC is good but wait till next year!!!

Brother Bill

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops

I ment USC. I had basket ball on my mind. We all know UCLA B-Ball rocks!!!

 
At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So happy to hear all the good news and inspiration. When do we tackle the garage?..I have angels waiting.

Thought from my refrigerator....

If God is within us, why do we keep looking "out there" to find the truth?

We have been trained to look outside for that which we have inside.
Keep relying on his ever present faithfulness and strength.
Come Home....Great homemade chicken soup awaits to heal you!
In Him,
Nancy McGivney

 
At 5:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I said Hail Hail,the Eyeball kid
Hail Hail, the Eyeball kid

Give it up and throw me down
a couple of quid
Everybody wants to see the Eyeball kid

How does he dream
How does he think
when he can't even speak
and he can't even blink
We are all lost in the
Wilderness we're as blind as can be
He came down to teach us
how to really see

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

-from the song"Eyeball Kid"
by Tom Waits


I love you brother,

Bruce Mckinnon

 
At 8:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am keeping you both at the top of my Hail Mary list and hope that it gives you the strength to get well soon. I am not surprised by the outporing of prayer and support from your friends and family. Your extended family is there to support you during this time and since we are San Clemente neighbors I would expect to be called upon to run errands,clean house, (Yes, I can clean house) or take you for walks on the beach.I pray that you continue with a quick recovery

Best Regards,

Thomas J. Winters

 
At 3:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

TO MY DAUGHTERITA STEPHIE,
I LOVE YOU SOOOOO MUCH AND I THINK ABOUT YOU AND NORTH MANY TIMES DURING EACH AND EVERY DAY. I PRAY EACH NIGHT AND DURING THE DAY FOR CONTINUED GOOD HEALING AND I KNOW THAT GODS GRACE AND LIGHT ARE SHINNING WITH SO MUCH INTENSE LOVE AND POWER FOR THE BOTH OF YOU. YOU BOTH ARE LIVING MIRACLES AND I AM SO VERY BLESSED WITH HAVING YOU AS MY LOVED ONES. LOVING YOU FOREVER, YOUR MOMMY

 
At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Stef:
I have been out of town for a few days and read that musical moment last night. What a beautiful experience to share. I don't seem to know yet how to comment on the blog so just keep sending love & healing light to you and North. He does sound like a miracle man to me and he is showing all of us the pure Spirit of Life. This morning I was meditating on this experience and realizing, again, that we are here to turn everything over to God. Hard to get out of wanting things the way we think they should be and who would choose this journey. Ego is a strange thing. I assume we need to have it in this life but the lessons it teaches us are hard to learn. My thoughts now are how people with their own busy lives start to retreat a little and move back into their world. Keeping in the flow of North's recovery is where I want to be and supporting everything that he is learning about his own strengths and abilities of acceptance. I know I have been guilty at times in my life when I have thought the worst is over and now I can move on and out of the experience. I choose not to do that this time. So keep me informed when you can as to the changes as they occur and the beauty of your words and expressions.
When North is able to go home, and a happy day that will be, let me know so that I can cook some things to bring to you. Can he eat anything yet or is he just on liquids? That is one thing I can do.
Love extends out to both of you: Marge

 
At 4:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Northman & Stef,

Get ready for a magical ingredient in your meals..."Mamalove". She brought some highfalutin cookbooks with her.

Love,

Brother Bruce

 
At 6:17 PM, Blogger North McKinnon said...

Stef,

My love, the day I first saw you as the angel, woman, lover, inspiration you are was the first time I Had My Revelation. Thank you for being in my life. Yes, I am still teared up from your posting and recollection of how you, Dan and I shared that magical moment. I don't know who said it first (probably Holmes), but I do know that "Healing is a Revelation". That moment you wrote of was a real moment of Healing inside a sometimes heartless healthcare system. I loved you, Dan and myself in that moment beyond all time and all earthy expressions. And I always will.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bro

Brother Bruce and I are going fishing. We will send you photos of our voyage, "I'm gona catch me some fish!"

Take care of Mother Mary....

Love Bill & Alison

 

Post a Comment

<< Home