Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Courageous Honesty

I became introduced to Byron Katie though Wil, who is a mutual friend of North and mine. Byron Katie's "The Work" in its most basic form, consists of four questions and a turnaround:

1 Is it true?
2 Can you absolutely know that it's true?
3 How do you react when you think that thought?
4 Who would you be without the thought?

Then (as she describes) you turn it around, and find three genuine examples of each turnaround. A "turnaround" can show previously unseen aspects of oneself reflected back through others.

So I went to Byron Katie's website http://www.thework.com/about.asp and found some videos to click on. I watched the one about the woman who's mother is too controlling. Then I noticed a video about cancer.

I was surprised to see North sitting there with Byron! There he was under the lights, up on the stage in front of 400+ other workshop attendees. I was deeply moved and amazed to experience North as he experienced his process with her. We also get to see Stef in the audience.

Check it out at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-WQhpyQ4J4
or
http://www.thework.com/video_cancer.asp


...Byron Katie talks about loving "what is". To quote Stef from her last Blog entry, "So I asked him the questions and he answered them with the courageous honesty I have so come to admire and appreciate in him."

2 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have an incredible gift Stef. Your authenticity and loving beams through all the words. I am inspired by your ability and willingness to share with us. Please consider your writing as a Spirit-filled gift. As the author Elizabeth Berg said, "Genuinely, if you have something to say, there is someone who genuinely needs to hear it." I am honored to be one of those who heard you.

Blessings, Karen Embree

You are all in my prayers.

 
At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello. I recently discovered the work of Byron Katie as I was surfing through MySpace last month. I remember viewing the clip of her working with a man who had cancer. I noticed his eye patch was psychedelic and that he wore flip flops. The hippie chic in me was drawn to him. As I watched the emotions move across his face, I was moved to tears, even sobs as he went through the process with Katie. Fast forward a month.
Today, while watching a YouTube video called 'Everyday WOW, related to Marianne Williamson, I simply heard the site name 'NorthandStef dot com.' Lo and behold, here was that man again. He had a name now. North McKinnon.
These roads we follow often lead us back to the beginning, but with new sight. Thank you for your "Healing Out Loud." Beautiful and filled with Love. Keep creating.
Blessings&Love&Miracles,
Andrea Forest
Dallas, Tx.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home